Monday, March 2, 2015

Celebrate National Reading Month! Start with Dr. Seuss

It's National Reading Month! And the month always kicks off with a Happy Birthday shout-out to Dr. Seuss.


As I mentioned in my snow-day post last week, there is reportedly a new Dr. Seuss coming out, What Pet Should I Get?  In anticipation of the book and to burn some snow-day time, my little one, Nat, wrote her own version of rhyme about selecting a pet.  She let me share it with you, but wanted to do so in her own handwriting, along with her cover of the ever-popular Cat in the Hat (above).


I also want to say "thanks!" to the National Education Association (that's your teachers, or at least some of them) for a 25th Anniversary edition of Oh, The Places You'll Go!  I received my first copy years ago as I graduated from the University of Delaware, a gift from my dorm assistant.  As a high school teacher, I gave copies to graduating students and even read it aloud in class (don't believe the myth that kids get too old to read to - nothing like reading Dr. Seuss to 17-year olds.)  Since one copy already sits on my shelf, I'm passing this one on to a local elementary school principal who I've worked with as a volunteer in our county PTA.  He's never been my own child's principal, but in visiting his school and meeting with him, I know he has a great energy and spirit and commitment to making his kids successful, including a STEM lab in his school, college visit field trips and an undefeated basketball team, so that they will have many options for the places that they will go.



Happy reading!


Join the conversation on Facebook: Just Piddlin' with Frances

No comments: